Smartphone Case Claimed To Reduce Risk of Getting Cancer

Discussion in 'Accessory Discussions' started by Marc, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Marc Forum Administrator

[IMG]

Read More: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/08/24/smartphone-case-claims-to-reduce-risk-cancer/

What are your thoughts?
  2. dilawer Forum Moderator

My thoughts: "I had no idea smartphone caused Cancer" but if it does then this case is really great.
  3. Marc Forum Administrator

It's the cellphone itself that emits radiation, which can result in the user getting cancer.
  4. dilawer Forum Moderator

:O Damn, So maybe using hands-free reduces the amount of radiation, right?
  5. ramtastic05 Let Go My AnDroid

I think this case is a good idea. There are a lot of paranoid people who might avoid phones due to the fear of cancer/radiation. This might push them on the side of the fence to go and buy a phone.

Other people should also get one as well because I have heard the people, especially men, should not keep there phones in their pocket due to the radiation. This case is one more item in the fight against radiation. Its a win in my book. BUT, i do need to see some numbers and statistics from some health organization or something before i buy one myself.
  6. ashimashi Let Go My AnDroid

Honestly if the issue is that bad then why not make the so called protector right in the phone to protect it from users.

I don't talk much with my phone, I usually communicate more through text and email. If I want to talk to a person then I rather talk in person
  7. anna_karenina Highly Addictive User

I don't use a case and I also use relatively rarely (in comparison to others, of course) the phone to talk on it. This is why radiations are not such a huge problem for me.
  8. Avent Forum Moderator

I think the case is a good idea.

Yes, phones emit radio waves to send our messages and make calls. This obviously can effect us sooner or later if we are exposed to them for too long although the chances and danger levels is very small. Nonetheless the case would help and would be useful to protect you even more. Radio waves can not do much danger anyway because they tend to not be able to pass through the skin cells as well and therefore will not knock out your electrons in the body (well there is a very small chance) so you have little chance of mutations leading to cancer.
  9. Adriana Highly Addictive User

I have a leather cheap case and I'm gonna keep it until it brakes :p
    I'm not sure what to say, the idea seem OK but, let's be serious for a moment, with all the things we eat and drink these days, all the stuff we breathe and come in contact with, how is a case going to protect us from dying sooner?
  10. Jessi BBM Crazy Member

I think it's a good idea, too.

To be fair, a lot of people don't even use their phones for voice any more, so they're not actually against their heads nearly as much as they were a few years ago. So the studies that are showing changes in the brain might not be quite as important, but we're still carrying those phones around in our pockets and whatnot, so who knows what they might end up doing to the rest of our bodies.

We won't have any long term research for a while now, so if there's something that might potentially decrease the risks, then awesome.
  11. Sheepishwolf Highly Addictive User

The case sounds like a great idea. The article says that the case redirects radiation to reduce exposure by up to 95%. Although the radiation from the typical amount of cell phone calling use probably isn't high enough to have detrimental long term effects. But then again, since there are no solid long term research on it, I would probably buy the case just because it's better to be safe than sorry.
  12. AnnaS Highly Addictive User

But what about people around you in public transportation, for example, - everybody has a cellphone right now and I think that this case is nothing useful until all people start to use it for their devices.
  13. Sheepishwolf Highly Addictive User

I don't think that cell phone radiation travels far enough to cause any harm to people who are not in contact or right next to it. I Googled the length that cell phone rays travel, and according to the websites I checked, a cell phones radiation is equivalent to that of a low powered microwave and the radiation will travel until it hits a surface. The purpose of this type of case would be to block off the radiation that you would get when you hold it to your head to make a phone call, blocking the rays from getting to your brain where it would do the most damage (or at least that's what I'm getting from this).