Looking for a "beginner" Smartphone.

Discussion in 'Gadget Wars' started by Lauren, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Lauren New Kid on the Block

Hello. I'm looking to get my first Smartphone. I've been using my "dumbphone" on the Verizon network up until now. My phone NEEDS to be replaced, not because it's an embarrassing basic phone, but because it's on its last legs. There are no decent looking basic phones anymore, and I can't afford Verizon's data plan.... so my plan is to purchase a CHEAP unlocked Smartphone from Best Buy (because I have a gift card) and switch to T Mobile's CHEAP No Contract Monthly4G plan. I know there are many people out there who swear by Verizon and the latest, top-of-line phones, but I don't have the luxury of paying $30/month extra for data through Verizon or purchasing the BEST of the BEST phone there is. I need to be practical. And I need help choosing a CHEAP, beginner Smartphone. If you made it this far into my post, it is much appreciated!

The phones Best Buy has to offer for the lowest prices are:
    Motorola MB300
    Motorola Flipside MB508
    Samsung GALAXY POCKET S5300
    LG Optimus GT540
    HTC A6366 Aria
    Samsung DOUBLETIME I857
    HTC Explorer
    LG P350 Optimus
    Samsung Galaxy Mini S5570
    Motorola MB520
    Samsung Galaxy Y Duos S6102B
    SAMSUNG I917 FOCUS
    LG Quantum C900
    HTC myTouch
    Motorola Cliq MB501
    SAMSUNG GALAXY Y S5360
    Motorola Defy MB525
    HTC SURROUND
    Motorola Atrix MB860
    Samsung Galaxy Ace
    HTC Desire A8182

Any feedback on any of these phones would be helpful. Thanks!
  2. dilawer Forum Moderator

Alright, so that's a decent list of smartphones you've got there but If I were you...I wouldn't even CONSIDER buying a Windows Phone 7 device...these are obsolete now. Now, You should personally check out thee phones, HTC Desire, Moto Defy, Samsung Galaxy Ace, Moto Atrix....and see which one suits your needs and fits your hands/pocket etc. You can also look for used unlocked phones, they're usually cheap and you can find high-end phones at throw away prices sometimes.
  3. Lauren New Kid on the Block

Thank you for your feedback! After I made this post, I did a little more research and started to gravitate more towards these phones you mentioned, which are naturally at the higher end of the cheap scale! LOL. Thanks again, and I will def. scratch the Windows phone off my list!
  4. dilawer Forum Moderator

Cool! Don't forget to let us know what you bought. Post your Android device here. (Assuming you'll buy an Android)