Blackberry Superbowl ad a fail?

Discussion in 'BlackBerry and BlackBerry World' started by Jessi, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Jessi BBM Crazy Member

If you haven't seen it, here's the ad:

While it may be 'easier' to show what the Blackberry can't do, I really don't think they did a very good job marketing themselves there at all. This is definitely a case where they should've focused on what it *can* do and how it can do it better than its competitors. Why would anyone choose that phone over an iphone based on that ad?
  2. Avent Forum Moderator

I don't think it is the worst ad ever thought up however I do see your point. Nonetheless a super bowl ad will help people take interest no matter what.
  3. Marc Forum Administrator

I agree, but what if it can't do XYZ better than its competitors?
  4. Nuke Crazy Drama Queen

That was a funny yet ineffective use of ad space.
  5. Corvus Highly Addictive User

It's a bit sad when stuff like this happens. Most of the times it's the brand's fault.
    I really don't get the ad but someone thought it would be great.
  6. IVOXX Let Go My AnDroid

This ad definitely shows what the Blackberry can't so, but the commercial seems to be without brand and without a positive gain. I would have liked a more warm and homy commercial showing a nephew visiting grandma in the nursing home, and her opening up a gift and it was this Blackberry.

Suddenly the walls fall down and the super bowl is happening around them, angry ducks buzzing by, Grandma is connected! The weather, some news and then the Jane Austen women (via the device) reading her a favorite novel as she tucks herself to sleep. Cute and inspiring, not forgettable and pointless.

This commercial does not promote the device or the brand at all, and capture's the viewer's attention in an annoying way. It seems more a media object in itself, with a raison d'etre.
  7. dilawer Forum Moderator

This ad is actually a fail. They have to get their message through not confuse the viewer.
  8. IVOXX Let Go My AnDroid

That's a lot of ad time spent using flashy cgi and making a narrative that goes kind of nowhere...
  9. Corvus Highly Addictive User

This kind of ad is pretty expensive. The brand should have approved something good instead of this but.. it seems to be right nowadays to approve the most horrible ad you can imagine. In my country most ads don't make sense. It seems like if you have good looking people, lots of effects and the brand it will be a success.
  10. IVOXX Let Go My AnDroid

Wouldn't it be interesting to see what they rejected?
  11. Corvus Highly Addictive User

Yeah. Most likely they reject good ideas. I know some companies that did that. Well, they got two things.. recognition.. everyone knew that horrible ad was to promote that brand and second, people commenting about it..